- St. Johns County annual beach driving passes for 2024 are on sale now. St. Johns County resident passes are $50, non-resident passes are $100, and ADA-accessible passes are $40.
- The St. Johns County Growth Management Department announced its Comprehensive Plan Update public engagement plans at the St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) regular meeting on Nov. 21. It includes a new online survey at www.SJCPlanUpdate.com that is now available for public input on 10 elements to help guide the plan update. Additionally, the County shared that the current Listening and Learning Opportunity at www.surveymonkey.com/r/SJCListenAndLearn, asking for resident feedback on broader topics, has been extended to Dec. 15.
- In early November, all of the sea turtle nests on the beaches of St. Johns County finished hatching, and the results were stellar. According to numbers provided by the St. Johns County Environmental Division Habitat Conservation Section, 2023 is the first year our county ever recorded triple-digit green sea turtle nests on its beaches, with a total of 133 nests out of the 1,205 counted by volunteers. Of the remaining 1,072 nests, 1,057 belonged to loggerhead turtle nests and 15 to leatherback sea turtles. In total, St. Johns County estimates 79,811 hatchlings emerged from these nests and made their way to the Atlantic Ocean.
- â€“ As the holidays approach, the U.S. Department of the Treasury has provided St. Johns County with $2,150,000 of emergency rental assistance to help low-income renters catch up on past due rent and utilities, specifically as they recover from housing instability experienced during and after the pandemic. St. Johns County Emergency Rental Assistance (SJC ERA) can provide qualified households with up to 18 months of total assistance, including back rent and utilities, and up to three months of future assistance. Qualified renters in the middle of an eviction proceeding get expedited assistance. Registration for the program is open for tenants and landlords at www.sjc-era.com.
- Vilano Beach Main Street is hosting their Vilano Holiday Village beginning Dec. 2 with a series of scheduled weekly activities, featuring a reading and book signing by Carol Aebersold, the world famous author of The Elf on the ShelfÂ®: A Christmas Tradition, on Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. during the Author Book Fair Extravaganza. All events will be located at Vilano Beach Main Street on Vilano Road in St. Augustine. Visit www.vilanobeachfl.com/vilanoholidayvillage for event details.
- St. Johns County Administrator Joy Andrews shared her â€œCharting Performanceâ€ presentation to the St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) during its Nov. 21 regular meeting to introduce a new organizational chart and other key changes that reflect the Countyâ€™s dedication to innovation and responsive governance. Andrews made history on Oct. 31, becoming the first female County Administrator in the history of St. Johns County.
- St. Johns County Launches Recycle CoachÂ â€“Â Recycle Coach is live! We have teamed up with Recycle Coach to help educate our residents on proper recycling! By downloading the Recycle Coach app or visitingÂ recyclestjohns.com, you can get your curbside collection schedule, sign up for alerts, and quickly learn how to dispose of different waste materials properly. The Recycle Coach app also has image recognition software. Just take a picture of an item, and it will tell you if it is recyclable! Download the Recycle Coach app on theÂ Apple App StoreÂ orÂ Google Play. Â Learn more about Recycle Coach.
- St. Johns County launched a new emergency notification system to provide residents with critical information during emergency situations. The new Alert St. Johns system will enable residents to get critical information in a variety of situations including severe weather, unexpected road closures, water advisories, missing persons, evacuations of buildings or neighborhoods, and incidents that may threaten public safety. To receive alerts, sign up at https://member.everbridge.net/index/892807736725582#/login.
- The Fire Watch Program and App. According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, approximately twenty veterans commit suicide each day in the United States. To respond to this national epidemic, St. Johns County has joined surrounding communities and local organizations in Fire Watch, a program that provides a support system for veterans in crisis. The Fire Watch launched a mobile app that enables veterans and volunteers to foster positive relationships and ensure veterans get the help they need. Available on both the Apple App Store and Android Google Play, the app will allow veterans in crisis to quickly receive emergency assistance and connect them with a variety of local resources and allies that will help them build relations and provide one-on-one counseling and support. www.thefirewatch.org.Â
Boards and Committees Volunteer Opportunities – Residents interested in serving their community and participating in local government may apply for a variety of board and committee opportunities. Current Board Vacancies
December 8, 2023 - St. Johns County Beach Services to Accept Applications for Beach Toll Attendants in January 2024 – St. Johns County Beach Services will begin accepting beach toll attendant job applications between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Jan. 9, 11, and 12, 2024. Accepting Beach Toll Attendants Applications in January
December 6, 2023 - 2024 St. Johns County Annual Beach Driving Passes on Sale – St. Johns County annual beach driving passes for 2024 are on sale now. St. Johns County resident passes are $50, non-resident passes are $100, and ADA-accessible passes are $40. Beach Driving Passes on Sale | Press Release
December 5, 2023 - St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners Approves Motion to Address Possible Violations by Commissioner Krista Joseph of Board Rules and a Florida Statue – On December 5, 2023, during the St. Johns Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) Regular Meeting, Commissioner Henry Dean commented that Commissioner Krista Joseph made a “campaign speech” during her commissioner report at the November 21, BOCC meeting. The BOCC voted 4 to 1 on a motion to censure Commissioner Krista Joseph for those statements for violating the Rules and Policies of the BOCC ("Board Rules") that address Decorum and Civility. The motion also directed the County Attorney to hire outside counsel to determine if those statements violated Florida law, which could include Florida Statue 104.31 which addresses Political activities of state, county, and municipal officers and employees. BCC Approves Motion to Address Possible Violations
December 4, 2023 - Temporary Closure of Crescent Beach Park and Cubbedge Road Beach Access Ramp for Next Phase of FEMA Dune Enhancement Project – On Friday, Dec. 8, St. Johns County will temporarily close Crescent Beach Park (located at 6930 A1A South, St. Augustine) and the Cubbedge Road Beach Access Ramp for public safety as crews begin work on the next phase of the FEMA Dune Enhancement Project. The closures are only expected to last one week. Crescent Beach Park / Cubbege Road Beach Access Ramp Closure
December 1, 2023 - St. Johns County Temporarily Closing East Section of McCullough Creek Conservation Area for Environmentally Necessary Timbering – For the safety of park patrons, the east section of the McCullough Creek Conservation Area (located just north of the County Road 305 intersection and several miles north of State Road 207 in the Hastings area) is closed while a timber management crew thins out timber stands in compliance with a St. Johns River Water Management District authorized land management plan. McCullough Creek Conservation Area East Temporary Closure
November 28, 2023 - Laure Noualhat visits St. Johns County Beach Renourishment Projects – St. Johns County was honored to welcome Laure Noualhat, a French environmental journalist, writer, and film director, to our beaches. Laure is currently working on a story for Le Figaro Magazine, focusing on how governments are handling the effects of climate change, including beach erosion. Laure Noualhat visits St. Johns County Beach Renourishment Projects
November 28, 2023 - Vilano Beach Main Street Holiday Village – Vilano Beach Main Street is hosting their Vilano Holiday Village beginning Dec. 2 with a series of scheduled weekly activities, featuring a reading and book signing by Carol Aebersold, the world famous author of The Elf on the Shelf®: A Christmas Tradition,on Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. during the Author Book Fair Extravaganza. All events will be located at Vilano Beach Main Street on Vilano Road in St. Augustine. Visit www.vilanobeachfl.com/vilanoholidayvillage for event details. Vilano Holiday Village Press Release
St. Johns County Offering Assistance with Past Due Energy Bills for Low-Income Seniors – The Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP) provides heating/cooling (Electric) bill assistance to an elder who is in immediate danger of losing home energy. For eligibility guidelines and application, visit the Social Services page or call 904-209-6140.
Current FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps & Information – Flood Zone Viewer | NFIP Rating Insurance Discounts for Some SJC Property Owners
Projects, Advisories, Status Updates – For right of way projects, advisories, and status updates as well as permitting activity, please visit the St. Johns County Neighborhood Bill of Rights Application
Public Records Requests
Government records may be seen and copied from a records custodian at the County Administration building, via specific County Departments responsible for their own records, from records custodians at Elected Officials Offices and at other levels of government such as state agencies, local, county and state authorities. Public records requests to the County may be made by completing the Public Records Request Form or by contacting the County’s Public Records Custodian at:
Office of the County Attorney, Attn: Public Records Custodian
500 San Sebastian View, St. Augustine, Florida 32084-8686
E: email@example.com | P: (904) 209-0805 | F: (904) 209-0806
Special Districts Information can be found at www.sjcfl.us/SpecialDistricts